History's Dumpster Mobile Link

History's Dumpster for Smartphones, Tablets and Old/Slow Computers http://historysdumpster.blogspot.com/?m=1

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Highlights For Children



When I was a little kid (before I discovered Mad and later, Rolling Stone, Highlights was my favourite magazine.

It was fun and simple reading. And who could forget Goofus & Gallant? All I know is who had offspring. And it wasn't Gallant (even then, I was expecting a "coming out" issue of some kind.)

The articles were mostly factoids and basic American history. But it was the way they were written that I liked. Although Highlights avoided controversial topics of any kind (which during the years of Watergate hearings breaking into my favourite afternoon cartoon shows and my mom calling Nixon a duplicitous lying son of a bitch at the TV, wasn't such a bad thing.) I was already hearing enough of it.

  

4 comments:

  1. Highlight for Children... in the Dentist Office waiting room... And I will never be able to break that terrifying connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about that edition -- seemed like it was in many, many a doctor's waiting room.

    ReplyDelete

Spam messages will be automatically deleted