History's Dumpster Mobile Link

History's Dumpster for Smartphones, Tablets and Old/Slow Computers http://historysdumpster.blogspot.com/?m=1

Friday, September 21, 2012

Amitabha Buddhist Chant Player


My Amitabha Buddhist Chant Player
I have a strange gizmo

I can't remember how I found it, but it looked like a little radio, but with no tuning dial. You turned it on and it played a simple Buddhist chant over and over and over again, using a microchip in the unit. That was all it did. On it's side, it had a receptor for an AC adapter and an external speaker (I plugged this into my stereo using a patch cord, but the output was monaural and sound only came from the left speaker of my stereo.) It ran on 4 "AA" batteries. It's model number was #K-747....

Nobody I showed this to knew what it was either. The writing on the unit was definitely Chinese. But although I can tell the differences between Asian characters, I'm not very good at reading them individually. But one character did say "Buddha". So that was my only real clue.

Well, I had a breakthrough a few years ago whilst searching Google. It looks like this was a chant player for Amitabha Buddhists. The chant itself repeated "Ahhhh-Mit-Abha....Ahhhh-Mit-Abha....Ahhhh-Mit-Abha.....Ahhhh-Mit-Abha" over and over.

Here's what it sounds like (though the chant my player sounds a little different....)



http://www.amtbweb.org/amtb.mp3



More on Amitabha Buddhism and electronic players..... 


http://www.amtbweb.org/tchet420.htm

This little thing was a mystery to me for the longest time. But the back story is just as fascinating as the player itself.......

1 comment:

  1. If you go to the direct-from-China site DealExtreme.com and do a search on "Buddha Box" you can find several current models from a mini key-chain type to a bigass Buddha box with 40 different chants and color light effects even. The reports from people who purchase is these are Tibetan chants on the DealExtreme models.

    ReplyDelete

Spam messages will be automatically deleted